Pomegranate-Apple Winter Pie
By Kore Ravensea
© 2020 Kore Ravensea. All rights reserved.
When I think of winter and Yule-tide drawing near, I go to my comfort foods to feel safe and warm. Some enjoy a hot bowl of soup or chili on a cold winter's night, but I say, there's nothing like a
savory dessert. Gather around the fire and have a slice of this delicious treat.
Pomegranate has always been my favorite fruit, so I've combined it with an American favorite: apple pie. The result is scrumptious.
*4 Green apples
*1 1/2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
*1/ 1/2 tablespoons of tapioca
*1/2 cup of brown sugar
*2 tablespoons of pomegranate or raspberry honey
*Powdered sugar to sprinkle over pie at end
*1/8 teaspoon of salt
*1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger
*Dough for 9-inch pie crust
*1/4 cup of pomegranate seeds
1. Cut 8 apples into quarters. Preheat over to 425 degrees.
2. Heat honey on medium-high until honey boils.
3. Add apples to honey and add 1 1/2 TBS of butter.
4. Cook until apples are carmalized. (approx 5 minutes).
5. Put all cooked ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Add tapioca and stir in.
6. Add in ginger and salt and stir.
7. Roll out pie crust and pour filling into crust. (store bought of recipe below)
8. Leave extra dough for cutting into strips for lattice. Place lattice strips on top of pie and seal pie edges.
9. Bake for 15 minutes at 425. Lower heat to 350, and bake for an additional 45 minutes.
10. Cool pie before slicing.
11. Add powder sugar and pomegranate seeds. Sprinkle over top of pie.
12. Serve and enjoy
Pie crust ingredients:
*1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
*1/4 teaspoon of salt
*1/4 cup of ice water
*1/2 cup of cold butter
Pie crust Recipe:
1. Combine flour and salt in a mixing bowl.
2. Cut cold butter into pieces and mix in the bowl.
3. Add ice water and mix together.
4. Refridgerate overnight